Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Joy of Injury..

I have never been injured before, and that of course obviously means that I have not experienced it before. So, I never understood how it felt to be injured and I could never really empathize with people who were fighting injuries. But now, having come off a hip injury while training for my 4th marathon, I am happy to have had seen it off and being able to come back to running.

Injury (any setback actually) teaches you the importance of things like stretching and how to gradually come out of a bad phase. I have been running for a while now, not really training very well and at the same time some how managing to complete marathons. Yes, I have ran all these years without getting injured. But what is the fun if you don't know what your limits are! I might have been very much in my comfort zone running those marathons, and hence did not injure myself. Not that I was careful to prevent the injuries. It was just that I was not pushing myself. The finish times of 4:52, 5:24 and 4:58 speak for themselves. I am still yet to better my first marathon time and hope this is the time, and I will be happy with a 4:51 time come October 28th 2007. Hope it rains in Wasington DC!

It is one thing to learn from others' experience and a whole lot different learning through one's own experience. I believe there is a great joy to it.

I am really happy for the experience. I would love to have the opportunity to advise people on a hip injury, but again, people really understand something only when they have the need to. I have had a lot of friends and family who have been through knee injuries and that is one thing where I have learnt from others' experience (when I was closest to the person who experienced it).

Cheers! As one of my coaches signs off, Happy Trails! :) And Happy Comebacks.

No comments: