Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hip, Hop

I finally had my WORST running day of my life! But yea, I live to tell the story.

I was out for a 22-miler, my longest of the training program - 3 weeks before the real one. The weather bore resemblance to how it would be in Washington D.C. I had done a 20-miler in rain two weeks back and felt great but I wasn't feeling great about my knee on the long run a week before. Moreover I was trying on new shoes. So, there were always jitters.

There were a few hills and that was good because MCM has a few hills too. But boy, were the hills killers. I barely managed to negotiate them. I started running with the whole gear - jacket and tracks, it was very chilly this morning - and got rid of them after 4 miles. May be I was doing okay till then. And may be I went slightly faster than what I wanted to.

After the 4 miles, I begun to feel pain in both my knees. Bottom and outer sides of my right knee and the bottom of my left knee. This was kind of normal to me however. And slowly the pain went on to the foot portion of my leg. Now, this I wasn't sure if it was because of the new shoes or my hip injury or if it was just that my body was beginning to crumble.

I trudged along okay, slightly in pain but managing to take gentle strides. At the 19.5-mile mark though, my body gave up. It could not keep up with my ambitions. My mind is YOUNG and stupid. And my body is old and WISE. Those 2.5 miles were through the most excruciating pain I remember. I could not land on my heel, and I walked all the way till the finish line using my left toe and my right foot. Either my hip was making me hop or the shoe didn't work out very well. Whatever it was, it wasn't a great positive ahead of the marathon. There are too many variables and I wish I had known better what the reasons for the pain were.

During this time did the thought of hanging up my boots first crossed my mind. So, will I finish on a high? Or will I finish on a low? Anybody's guess!

But hey, at least, I did not get cramps in the end! Cheers!!

No comments: