Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Wall

Calaveras Out-and-Back on Jul 18th

Of all the rides I have done so far, this is the favorite one!! This is the first ride that gave the joy of a prolonged downhill. While on the previous ride, I learnt how "not to" fall in a downhill, this ride I enjoyed the downhill. :)

After a warmup 3mi stretch of flat biking, there is a 2.5-mi stretch of 6% climb on the way out. After that climb is what bikers affectionately refer to as "The Wall." It is a 14% climb for a short distance. (1% grade means 52ft of climb over a mile.) If you thought the 6% climb was tough, you encounter the Wall. I stopped mid-way and walked my bike until I could muster enough courage to get on the bike again.

After the wall, and then there was another 14mi of rolling hills all the way up to 84 (yes, 84 again) in Sunol. While heading to Sunol, I kept wondering if it were better in this direction or the other. The rolling hills were a pain. But the route was so scenic, I would give a little of myself to enjoy the scenery! So, just like that, we were at the half-way point. We had done 20mi, and 20 more to go on the way back. Ironically though, I did want to go further at that point instead of heading back.

The way back was grueling each time there was a hill. It was a grind, and the first time mental strength came into play. Was reminded of hitting the wall while running marathons. It was challenging. And it was awesome!! Even without realizing, I hit the 14% downhill. And once that happened, everything else did not matter. 14% down grade, and then another 6% downgrade over 2.5mi. Going downhill @ 30mph -- can't put that feeling in words. It was like the whole effort of climbing up that hill was paying off!! Just pure bliss. Imagine flying for 5min.

To put it in perspective, the climb took about 25min, and the descent took about 5min. :)

.
..

Came back two days later to negotiate the wall without stopping. :) Did a 14-mi loop for a good early morning ride and a glance at the Calaveras reservoir area.

No comments: